Whats Up w/ Jah Connery
Well, I won’t lie, the rap life is a discouraging one for whatever reason. I would imagine I make it harder on myself by not placating to trends and youthful ignorance. So it goes.
So we adjust, shift focus.
On May 19, in Eastern Market, I will be DJing my first ever self-produced instrumental set as a part of the Head Nod Suite showcase during DIvision Street Boutique’s 5 Year Anniversary/Flower Day Block Party. I’m pretty geeked about that, and hope to be doing alot more sets like that around town.
I’ve been working hard on the Rooks sophomore release entitled Be!Cause. Its fucking dope. Its taken a while for me to get comfortable with enough material to follow up the last Rooks album, but I’m finally putting the final touches on just such material. Its tough to make this kind of thing come together when cats live 1,200 miles away from one another. Again it will be free and available at Modern Knot Dot.
Also nearing completion, but still ominously straddling the distant horizon is my second cassette release with Geweih Ritual Documents entitled Roach Clips. Its mad smokey, a little far out and absolutely fuckwittable. More information on this “highly” conceptual piece coming soon.
Don’t forget to come out to Eastern Market for Flower Day. If you happen to miss it, tell your local hip hop act booker to get atcha boy.
« Text post
15 Reasons to Go to Four Twenny For Everyone
I know, I know… A 4/20 show? Yeah, the cliche is not lost on us. And musicians like to smoke, so there is alot of things worth going to. I’ve spoken to quite a few artists who have things going on that very night. Hell, even Mister has a show before this (with Passalacqua) for Record Store Day. And there is always HedNod Suite, which we will be headed to as soon as our obligations to the Berkley Front are fulfilled.
By now you may be asking yourself: why the fuck would I go to your dumb 4/20 show. Well…
1. Because Mister is dope and doesn’t do a ton of solo performances.
2. Because D. Allie is dope and will be doing more than just hosting for once.
3. Because Warren Peace has mad new material that I’ve heard and can tell you is shiny fresh.
4. To buy me my set beer, which I will inevitably request and inevitably (for some unknown reason) some kind audience member will buy me.
5. Because the Berkley Front has the best selection of beer that side of town.
6. Because Pabst are cheap as fuck, even on a Saturday.
7. Because our wives are coming, and if they can endure, so can you.
8. Because being a part of any local music scene is taxing to ones sense of self worth.
9. Because we promise not to play ANY Bob Marley…
10. Because we promise to be clean and well dressed.
11. Because you might meet the person of your dreams.
12. Because you might meet a person who isn’t of your dreams, but has suitable genitalia.
13. Because you might meet some dude who has the killerest weed, and wants to play you unreleased Dilla cuts while he smokes you out in his bean bag van.
14. Because talent scouts might be there, and disenchanted by my set, they might look to you as the new Wiz Kalifa!!! (this applies to rappers and non rappers alike)
15. Because we love you, and whether you like it or not, you’ve never been able to find a good reason to not like us.
« Photo post
Photo post »
« Photo post
Photo post »
The Walking Dead
Dear walking dead fandom
u guys ok? need anything?
A hug? lemme know.
Dude… When a show about zombies replaces porn… Time to just hand over your badge and gun homie. #younasty #zombieporn
« Text post
Depression in a Recession (or) Let’s Pretend We’re Young!
I don’t know how many of you will relate to this, but I had a realization today in a moment of self pity: I have spent most of my life walking through the mud of depression.
Now mind you, I have this realization every three weeks or so. The only thing that makes this time any different is that I’ve committed to acknowledging it, publicly even.
I’ve decided that its kept me from having the fun I deserve to have with the music I make, which I treat too often like the prayer I have to recite to keep the demons from eating my very soul. Its not that deep. Its just raps.
I am trying like fuck to get some bookings. I believe its time to, as my parents used to say, go out and get the stink blown off me. If you know of a venue you would visit to see my awkward rap attack, do reach out. I am all ears and some beard.